One thing that we try and keep around the house is a good hand sanitizer. Second, to a good old fashion hand-washing, hand sanitizer is a perfect way to keep your hands clean when you are on the go… and trying to avoid germs, at all costs.
Unfortunately, at least in my town, it is all but impossible to find any hand sanitizer on the shelves right now. As the Coronavirus spreads into communities, and hand sanitizer slowly makes its way into the hands of price gougers, I thought it would be a wonderful time to share my personal hand sanitizer recipe.￼￼￼
The ingredients are simple, and many of you will have most of them around your home already. I am meaning the essential oils and not the grain alcohol, but who am I to judge?￼
So without further adieu, if you’re finding yourself in a situation where you need hand sanitizer and do not have it, get to work. And if you can make enough to share with your friends, they will truly appreciate it especially if they have little ones running around.￼
DIY Hand Sanitizer
You will need the following:
- Preferably in an empty pump bottle￼, but any glass container will do; add about 30 drops of tea tree oil. Tea tree oil has a long list of health benefits and sanitizing properties.
- Add in about 5 to 10 drops of lavender essential oil. Lavender also has some wonderful properties, but personally, I think it smells good and can be a very calming￼ scent.
- Okay, so here’s the fun part, add in 3 ounces of a high proof vodka. I’m not talking the good stuff, I’m talking the college party stuff. Don’t skimp because the alcohol volume needs to be high, go with Everclear, for a safe bet.
- Next you want to go with about an ounce of aloe vera gel. This is a great moisturizer for your hands and a great way to mix in all the ingredients without them becoming too harsh. If you want to make a spray just substitute witch hazel for the aloe vera gel and you are good to go.￼￼
- Lastly I would say to add about a quarter of a teaspoon of vitamin E oil, as this will help moisturize and soften your hands.￼
We all know how important having clean hands is to keep you healthy and to keep germs from being spread.
With hand sanitizer being harder and harder to find this is a great alternative that is just as effective when you are in a pinch.￼