How to Make the Perfect Smoothie Bowl
It’s very likely you’ve come across the aesthetically pleasing photos of smoothie bowls online. Whether scrolling through your Instagram feed or checking out a trendy food blog, the sheer variety of possible ingredients and arrangements makes smoothie bowls not only tasty looking but also a healthy breakfast option that you can make too! Follow this easy step-by-step guide to make your very own refreshing smoothie bowl from simple ingredients. Prepare a tasty base and personalize to your liking with the beginner’s guide to the perfect smoothie bowl!
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt, or dairy-free for a vegan option
- 1/2 cup milk or dairy-free milk (I used almond milk, but any kind will work.)
- 1 banana
- 1/2 cup frozen strawberries
- 1/2 cup ice
- (optional) Add a scoop of vanilla protein powder, or a heaping tablespoon of nut butter for extra protein
You can use any toppings you want in your smoothie bowl! But if you’re looking for inspiration, here are a few options:
- Coconut shavings
- Cocoa nibs, dark chocolate shavings
- Nut butter (Yes, you can put some in your smoothie and on top!)
- Go nuts: almond slices, walnut crumbles, chia seeds, pumpkin seeds, etc.
- Berries: blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, etc.
- Something sweet: honey, maple syrup, agave nectar
- Dried fruit: dried cranberries, mango, pineapple, apricot, etc.
- Other options: granola, healthy cereals, graham cracker crumbs
- Blend together yogurt, milk, frozen strawberries, banana, and protein.
- Add ice, blending again until smooth. Pour into a bowl.
- Arrange the large toppings first in whatever way looks good to you! Perhaps layer dried fruit in a circular pattern, or create an arrangement of berries. Get creative!
- Add smaller toppings next, sprinkling over the bowl, or placing however you’d like.
- Add in the liquid toppings by drizzling in a lattice or swirl pattern.
The last step of creating your smoothie bowl is of course, to enjoy! Dig into your tasty breakfast, or pause to take a photo of your creation! Experiment with different toppings and find your perfect match with this beginner’s guide to the perfect smoothie bowl!