DIY Face Paint for a Healthier Halloween
In order to make sure you stay healthy while participating in the fun, Sophia Ruan Gushee, author of A-to-Z of D-Toxing: The Ultimate Guide To Reducing Our Toxic Exposures, has created for us, the ultimate recipe for nontoxic DIY face paint that the whole family can have fun making together!
There are many dangerous toxicants found in conventional paints, including lead, nickel, cobalt, and chromium. This recipe is quick, easy, and a great alternative to the common varieties out there:
- 1 ½ tbsp cornstarch
- ¼ tbsp all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp honey
- ½ tbsp water
- Natural food color (seek nontoxic products on Amazon, or use household food items that can act as natural dyes)
- Mix the cornstarch and flour in a bowl. Add the honey and water to your mixture. It should create a thick, gluey substance that resembles a paste. If the paint is too thin, add more cornstarch and flour. If too thick, add extra water.
- Divide the mixture into separate bowls, and add your coloring. For example, you can use turmeric for yellow, and paprika for red.
- The paint comes out a bit more thick and gooey than conventional face paints, but the colors come out beautifully and stay on for hours.
- While the paint dries well, the honey component makes the paint slightly sticky to the touch. Avoid touching the paint after it is applied.